Microsoft Windows NT – Overview, Versions, and Features
Windows NT- An Overview
Windows NT (NT-New Technology) is a 32-bit operating system, developed by Microsoft. Windows NT has developed on a different kernel. Windows NT is preemptive multitasking system, it also supports natively numerous network features. Windows NT was introduced with new file system i.e. New Technology File System (NTFS).
Features of Windows NT
- NTFS File System: Windows NT introduced a new file system as its default file system named as NTFS. It is much more secure than FAT file system also it can recover and repair the files.
- Preemptive Multitasking: This feature helps to provide the facility to share Operating system and hardware resources with all programs.
- Remotely Access: Windows NT server edition was design to provide to log on the system remotely.
- Hardware Abstraction Layer: Microsoft introduced this feature to provide the interface between hardware and software. This feature enables Windows to run regardless of the hardware platform.
Windows NT Versions
There are 4 versions of Windows Operating system, which released with the name Windows NT. After the release of Windows NT 4.0 it released with other marketing names such as Windows 2000, Windows XP etc.
- Windows NT 3.1 – Workstation, Advanced server
- Windows NT 3.5 – Workstation, Server
- Windows NT 3.51 – Workstation, Server
- Windows NT 4.0 - Workstation, Server, Server Enterprise Edition, Terminal Server, Embedded
Windows NT operating system is available in two editions i.e. Workstation and Server.
Issues with Windows NT Operating system:
Microsoft stopped providing any kind of security updates to Windows NT. In this condition users of Windows NT are facing the problem generated by virus, malwares which creates the data loss problems and damage the files too. Windows NT is too old so users are facing too much problem to recover files or data. To restore files and repair inaccessible data user can try Windows NT File Recovery Software.